As I suspected, the arms on this sweater were much bigger than I wanted them to be. They might be the right size for layering over button up shirts, but I wanted a closer, smoother fit, so I went back and made some adjustments.
Four, I think, before I got it just right.
But first, here's some photos of what I have come to call the flabby sweater arm.
Someone was making me laugh! The arm on the left is fixed, and the arm on the right is the pattern as written. The arrows are pointing to the flab.
Now, my upper arms are thicker than most. I know this because when I try on shirts that fit everywhere else, my upper arms are often squeeeeeezed. So I don't like anything extra going on around there. The little bump you see was mirrored by a bump on the back.
It's difficult to photograph this, but the lumpiness was simultaneously in the front and the back.
I'm looking at these photos and I can see the the lumps don't look all that bad. In the photos they look like normal ease in the arms of a sweater. But trust me, in person it was too much ... it's not me having delusional upper arm body image issues. Ha!
Here is the nice, neat, fitted arm after my mods. Ahhh, look at that perfect fit. :)
This whole thing was actually a blessing in disguise because I totally forgot to cross the stitches
at the armpits. Here's what I did:
Row 1: Starting at center armpit, p/u 6 stitches (5 normal p/u one row below co edge and one stitch to the left of the last column), knit 3, k2tog, k3, k2tog, knit until last 10 stitches remain and k2tog, k3, k2tog, k3, p/u 6 stitches (one stitch to right of column and 5 normal p/u one row below co edge).
Row 2: knit all, except at corners with the extra p/u stitch where I k3tog with the extra stitch on top of the two stitches on either side of it.
That's it! Just two rows of extra decreases on either side of the arm pit got rid of my unsightly sweater flab. It took some experimenting to keep from creating a strange bulge near the decreases. My first couple of tries made the sleeve look like a puffy mutton sleeve.
I will probably make this sweater again. Next time I will adjust the sleeve stitches so I end up with the right amount without the decreases ... I think. If I can figure out the math and it doesn't throw everything else off. ;)
And I will remember to cross the stitches at the armpit! I will. I will. I will!