Saturday, March 16, 2013

Have You Taken My Survey?


Pretty please!  I'd love it if you'd complete my 2013 Reader Survey.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Cable Swatch

Of course I couldn't resist. :)  I took a ball of yarn, needles, and a cable needle with me on errands and knit here and there while my fellow shopper was browsing.  Oh, yes, I knit this standing up.  Ha!  

It was a tricky and I did drop the cable needle, but other than that, super awesome.  Cables are actually quite simple once you understand the "crossing of the stitches" bit.  

The fancy looking cables are just interesting combinations of crossing.  It's easy once you break it down.  You can only knit one stitch at a time.  You can do that, right?

It's a very elegant stitch, but I also I love that this looks vaguely insect-oid.  I wish I had the time to play around with it.  I'd love to see if I could add creepy, spindly cable legs or strange, twitchy antennae.


Monday, March 11, 2013

2013 Reader Survey


Whether you're a long time reader, a newbie, a meatspace friend, a skimmer, or a weekly commenter --- I want to know more about you!  Do me a favor and click through to this anonymous google survey and answer 10 quick questions:

2013 Reader Survey.

Come on!  You know you want to. :)

Friday, March 08, 2013

Cables To Die For

When I saw this photo on ravelry, my insides turned to goo.  That cable pattern is sublime.  So beautiful!
Photo © Pelykh Natalie (used with permission)
I bought this stitch pattern right away.  I love how it changes from a layered pinecone-like texture into a tiny twist.  I will definitely use this on something in the future.

Wednesday, March 06, 2013

YouTube Automatic Captions

I was responding to a comment on my Foundation Single Crochet video on YouTube when I noticed they had a "captions" button.

Hilarious!  Starting at the one minute mark, I start repeating "chain, grab, single crochet" and they don't get any of the 5 times I say it wrong in quite the same way.  And, apparently, I crochet with my foot. ;)

Monday, March 04, 2013

Hemlock Update

I'm getting very close to the bottom hem.  I tried it on recently and I onlyhad a couple of inches left to knit.  Then I try it on again and I still have a couple of inches left to knit.  This has happened a couple times.  It's like Groundhog Day.

You know what else is like Groundhog Day?  The sleeves ... because I'm going to have to knit them again.  It'll be the third time.  

I never told you this, but the first time I knit the sleeves I used 4.5mm dpns because I mis-remembered what size needles I'm using (should have been 4.75mm).  The sleeves were (and still are) crazy tight.

Luckily, they are super tiny-short sleeves because the shoulder is actually part of the yoke, so I only have to reknit the bottom half of the sleeves.  The shoulder cap is room, which is why the tight sleeves are a problem.  The combo of roomy shoulder cap and tight sleeve creates a slight leg o'mutton sleeve effect.

Friday, March 01, 2013

Big Box Heaven

I don't get to visit big box stores very often.  When I recently lost a clover cable needle, I had the choice to buy a new one from my downtown sewing store for DOUBLE what it cost at normal stores (plus 8.750% sales tax) or order it online and spend TRIPLE in shipping.  I ended up spending double and felt lucky they had them in stock.

So getting a chance to wander the aisles of a big box store is a guilty pleasure. Padded envelopes for 67 cents?!  Limited Edition flavors of my favorite cookies?!  Fat quarters and bags of sequins for less than $5?!  All are magical things I never see in the city. :)

The big square of fabric on the left is called a "Stash Starter".  Ha!  Dude, my stash is well underway.  I love the purple and black coordinating prints!

And this big, fat, stuffed bag of sequins could not be resisted.  Seriously, it was stuffed beyond belief.  And for less than $3?  It would have been a crime to leave it behind.

So let's find out what's in there ...

Oh!  Look at this cool translucent brown leaf. There are lots of clear and see-though sequins.  All kinds of shapes and colors.  Sparkles galore!

I want to sew them on everything!  EVERYTHING.

I was trying to be very careful when I was cleaning up after the photoshoot, but I still got them all over the floor when I was putting them away.  I'm sure I'll be finding them for years to come.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Green Update

Hmm, I wish I had a name for this sweater.  "Green" is such a boring thing to call it.  Any suggestions?

Although I haven't officially started this sweater (officially-officially) I saw this pattern with it's promise of "seamless set-in sleeves" and had to find out what that meant!

I just happened to see the pattern when the designer was having a giveaway and I got Serra for free.  I love the ingeniousness of this method and I hope it actually work to create a nice shoulder.  So far, it's totally cool.

Friday, February 22, 2013

Blocking Again

I'd hoped that once I blocked this sweater, it would stay that way.  But after I washed it the first time, I just laid it out on a towel and let it dry.  That didn't work.

The Knit Picks Comfy Fingering yarn (75% Pima Cotton, 25% Acrylic) I made this with is super light and springy.  The lace scrunches up when it's washed.  I'm going to have to block this sweater every time I wash it to keep the lace open.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Golden Update

Knitting away on the second set of short rows on Golden.  Just about ready to start some exciting increase rows!