Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Golden Edges

This weekend I decided to tackle the edges of Golden.  I really, really really wanted to do an interlock bind off.  It's my absolute favorite bind off.  

The problem is that for the interlock bind off, you need a tail of yarn that is 3 times longer than your edge.  Well, for Golden, the edge is looOOOOOooong and that would never work.  Not only would it be too hard to guess how long to make the tail, but by the time I sewed up the edge, the yarn tail would be a tattered mess.

I've been putting this conundrum off  since October.  I really want to wear this sweater, so it was time to figure out what to do.  I pulled out my copy of Cast On Bind Off (which isn't as detail oriented as I'd prefer, honestly) and started trying out stretchy bind offs in search for one that would work.

I didn't like any of them.  None.  But I noticed when I tried the Purl Two Together Bind Off (aka Russian Lace Bind Off) that the edge looked perfect with the garter stitch edging.  I decided to try it as long as I stretched the purl stitch each time to loosen up the bind off.

I stretched each stitch to about double the diameter of the knitting needle.  To complete the bind off, I slip the stitch back onto the left needle, then purl two together.

I might have been able to accomplish this by using a big right needle, but I decided to "zen" it and just stretch the stitches.  I can't be a robot all the time. ;)

See?  An almost invisible edge!  The purl bumps blend right in with the garter stitch.

Here's the back of this stitch.  It's a neat looking chained edge.

By stretching the stitch a little, I was adding a little extra yarn into the stitch.  The extra yarn made the edge buckle and ruffle a little, which was a little worrying, but I thought that maybe a little blocking would solve that issue.

I did a quick wet blocking of just the edge.  Once this bad boy dried, the edge looked perfect!

Oh!  I just remembered.  Around the neck, from raglan edge to raglan edge, I did the bind off normally with non-stretched stitches.  I wanted the bind off to be tight and secure around the neck so it wouldn't get pulled out of shape by the weight of the sweater.  By doing that, the edge was super-neat already and didn't require blocking at all.

I'm not done yet, though.  This is such a substantial sweater that short sleeves just don't look right.  It's only sport-weight yarn, but those big loose wings at the front add a lot of bulk.  Long sleeves will look much better on this sweater.  Sleeves are fast, though.  Soon!
6 Comments leave a comment


Pam said ...
Your sweaters are a constant source of amazement for me!
1/22/2014 10:37 AM

futuregirl replied ...
Pam ... Aww, thanks!
1/24/2014 10:01 PM

Jessie said ...
One possibility if you wanted to do the interlock bind-off in future with similar constraints would be to start with a reasonable length of yarn for sewing, then splice in more yarn as you go, much as one would do while naalbinding. Works best with spit-splicing your wool, but I hear there are other methods that work nice with non-wool. Anyway, it looks amazing and worked out great!
1/22/2014 2:31 PM

futuregirl replied ...
Jessie ... Great idea! Since this is cotton, splicing can get tricky, especially around a bottom edge that will get a lot of wear. Good option to remember.
1/24/2014 10:05 PM

Jessie said ...
Quite right; there's no way I'd be trying to splice cotton either!
1/26/2014 11:56 AM
 
Sonja said ...
Love the sweater ! I too like the same bind off.
beautiful work!
2/12/2014 8:15 PM

YOUR FIRST COMMENT MUST BE MANUALLY APPROVED


Leave A Commentprivacy policy 

Name


Email won't be displayed publicly


Website must start with http://


remember my info for next time

Comment html tags not allowed


Robot FoilerEnter the text from the image into the box.
get new image