So now we get to the mechanics of attaching knitted and crocheted rectangles to curving chairs. I didn't plan ahead. I figured I'd come up with something.
To give me something to use to attach the bottom cover to the seat, I added a row of *dc,ch* crochet on the right and left.
I used the chain space to truss the sides together with left-over lengths of yarn. I didn't mean to do this, but I ended up with a secret rainbow under the chair.
I also added a row of *dc, ch* at the front and back, too. I was able to unscrew the seat from the frame and wrap my attaching-yarn around the frame at the front and back, which saved me from having to do more super-long weaving.
For the seat backs, I was hoping that I could pop off the back panel and attach the hexes to some secret inner workings of the chair. The panels weren't actually removable like they looked. Plan B was crochet something for the back.
To be honest, at this point I had project fatigue. I'd started it months before and the shine was starting to fade. I just wanted this to be DONE. So, in the spirit of quickness, I opted to crochet a *dc, ch* back.
I think the simple solution looks just as good as anything fancy I could have come up with. The chain spaces are so deep and shadowed that you can't see the original blue fabric of the chair.
They are also super stretchy, which is nice because, as you can see, the back of the chair is shaped non-rectangularly, and the back stretches to accommodate the bulging.
The very last bit of work I had to do was sew the sides of the seat backs onto the chair itself. For several weeks, the seat backs were just loose floppy tubes around the chair. The sides looked like the tops of stretched out tube socks. I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to get a neat looking edge.
I knew I needed a curved upholstery needle
so I could sew into the slightly padded chair back. There was no way I would have been able to do this with a regular straight needle.
I had a couple false starts while I learned where I needed to catch the cover and where I needed to catch the original chair fabric so the cover was flush with the smoke grey steel frame. I eventually got the hang of it. I should have picked up a thimble, because pushing and pulling that huge curve needle put a little dent in my finger. But I didn't stop until I was all done!
The art I chose to put behind the chairs are a random selection of 35 photos my husband took. He has a series called In Passing
of 255 of these candids on his website (this link is fine, but some parts of his site are NSFW).
These portraits are fascinating. When people come into my office and see them, they usually take a couple of minutes to study all of the people. It's easy to start coming up with stories, scenarios, and explanations for what is going on with them.